Neonicotinoids are powerful pesticides that spread throughout the growing plant making nectar and pollen toxic to honey bees and wild, native bees who are not the target of the neonics. The toxins then last in soil and water for months or even years on end. Even low levels of exposure can decrease bees’ abilities to forage, navigate, and communicate. Neonics can hinder bees’ memory, suppress their immune systems and increase their vulnerability to disease and pests. Some neonicotinoids can be even 5,000 to 10,000 more acutely toxic to bees than DDT! Neonics can also be toxic to aquatic species, soil microbes, earthworms, birds and even shellfish.

Leave a Comment